Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Secret Weapon

So one of the best ways for a runner to cut weight and get in shape is not to cut calories, but to increase mileage. Cutting calories when there's a sport involved is actually counter-intuitive, as the body will hold on to calories and not spend them as much as it normally would. Weight can actually be gained and strength diminished this way.

So when I unleashed my secret weapon last week and changed my eating habits, I was careful not to cut the calories, at least not noticeably. I still want the same feeling after meals, but just from different, better food.

Last week started Lent, and while not Catholic, it's something I've participated in for a long time. I see it as finding God in places out of my usual places. Plus, I've got a bet to win with my wife. So I changed my eating habits. That's right, I've gone vegan.



But not the douchebag, angry at meat-and-cheese-eaters, protesting-slavery-of-the-honeybees vegan. This is about how my body reacts to certain products. Lately, they've just been sitting like a brick and draining energy.

It's actually fun. I get to try all kinds of fun foods, or just try out new ways of cooking them. I found a good vegan raw protein, that my wife likes as well, and I'm keeping a stash of cooked black beans, my favorite bean.

Yesterday I had Chipotle: the vegetarian burrito without sour cream and cheese is totally vegan. As far as I know. Many restaurants, in fact, have vegan options. Even in Wichita, a city with a few slaughterhouses that can be smelled all over the city with a good crosswind, there are vegan alternatives and entirely vegan restaurants.

In 5 days I'm already down 5 pounds.

This may work wonders for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment